- about us
- what we do
- contact us
A Los Angeles native (8th generation, if you can believe that), Jim brings over 25 years of design and strategic thinking to the table. He is an outdoor enthusiast, being an avid mountain biker and hiker who has also done his share of backpacking, rock climbing and river rafting. Raised in an environmentally friendly household, Jim's current passion is helping to educate others about sustainability and encouraging people to ride bicycles more often.
Jim graduated California State University, Northridge, with a BA in fine art in 1985. At CSUN, he thrived on resolving design challenges by thinking concept first, decoration second. Upon graduation, he served as the in-house art department for a small record company before embarking on a freelance career that landed him in the production rooms of some of the largest international advertising agencies. Working first-hand on national campaigns for Apple Computer, Taco Bell, Honda and others, brought a new understanding to the value and power of good design and advertising.
Jim's freelance clients soon outnumbered his agency prospects and in 1989 he decided to concentrate on building the reputation of his studio. In 1999, the studio was renamed Asylum (to capture the bi-polar essence of design; safe retreat and psych ward) as his focus shifted from being an independent graphic designer to developing a full-service Design Studio. Shortly thereafter, he began seeking clients that were striving to make a difference in the world, including non-profits and "green companies". Jim's passion for finding solutions to design problems that helps those who helps others continues to drive his enthusiasm for every project at Asylum.
- LEED Accredited Professional: Studied Sustainable Building Design and Construction; Ability to apply whole systems approach to any model
- Member of California Green Workforce Coalition (Public Agency): Contributed to defining "Green" to better understand Job Titles and Job Descriptions in order to train unemployed workforce
- Member of West Coast Motion: Part of the industry-driven team blueprinting the introduction to a transportation infrastructure that relies on Fuel-Cell, and Hybrid Technology
- Member of Green W.E.S.T. Alliance
- Intricate Network of Green Professionals, Eco-preneurs, and Green VCs: Knowledge of cutting-edge technology; Expertise in Sustainable Sectors
- Developed Green-Sustainable Business Incubator for Southern California: Assembled concept and a detailed layout for the incubator and pitched presentation to CSU-Dominguez Hills and Loyola Marymount University; Project was green lit in 2009 and retracted in 2009 due to frozen fiscal budget
- Sustainable Leadership Certificate UC Irvine: Practiced applying Corporate Sustainable Responsibility through case studies to organizations; Green Marketing Specialist